Majola withdraws from his disciplinary hearing
Suspended Cricket SA (CSA) CEO Gerald Majola has withdrawn from his disciplinary hearing, according to his lawyer, Pumezo David.
“He has withdrawn from the hearing,” David confirmed on Wednesday.
“We will be issuing a written statement with more details.”
The cricket body said in a statement that Majola and his legal team would take the matter to the Labour Court.
“The disciplinary hearing will continue in his absence and both Mr Majola and his legal team understand the consequences of their actions,” CSA said.
“The disciplinary hearing is still on target to be concluded by the middle of next week.”
Advocate Karel Tip, chairman of the hearing, had dismissed a special plea by Majola last week.
Initially scheduled to start in Johannesburg on October 3, the hearing was delayed by preliminary proceedings and got underway in Majola’s absence on Wednesday.
Majola was suspended in March after a long-running bonus scandal following the 2009 Indian Premier League T20 tournament, which was hosted by South Africa.