Please enter your login details

You can also sign in with your Sowetan LIVE,
Times LIVE account details.
   Sign Up   Forgot password?

Sign in with:

     
 
Thu Apr 17 00:47:47 SAST 2014

Enge 'in shock' after another failed dope test

Reuters | 20 June, 2012 08:350 Comments
Tomas Enge of Team Czech Republic gets ready for the sprint race during the Australian A1 Grand Prix at Eastern Creek Raceway on February 3, 2008 in Sydney, Australia
Image by: Brendon Thorne / Getty Images

Czech racing driver Tomas Enge has failed a dope test a decade after a similar result scuppered his hopes of competing in Formula One.

The 35-year-old, who drives a Lamborghini in the FIA GT1 sportscar world championship, said on his Facebook page that he was “in shock” after the positive test at a race in Spain last month.

He explained that he had long-term health problems and recently asked the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) for an exemption to allow him to take certain medicines.

“Now I consult with experts as to how this situation could occur,” he said. There was no immediate comment from the Paris-based FIA.

Enge was stripped of the F3000 title, at the time the feeder series for Formula One, in 2002 after testing positive for cannabis.

The former McLaren and Jordan test driver had already become the first Czech to race in Formula One after starting three grands prix with the now-defunct Prost team in 2001 as a stand-in for injured Brazilian Luciano Burti.

No Formula One driver has ever failed a dope test. 

To submit comments you must first

Join the discussion & Debate

Enge 'in shock' after another failed dope test

For Commenters Consideration | Please stick to the subject matter
Thu Apr 17 00:47:47 SAST 2014 ::

COMMENTS [0]