Schumacher refuses to comment on Mercedes contract
Michael Schumacher and his manager on Wednesday refused to comment on whether the Formula One seven-time champion would renew his contract with Mercedes, which is due to run out at the end of the season.
“We won’t take part in a public discussion about time periods, background or preferences,” manager Sabine Kehm told dpa.
Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn had told the FOTA fans forum late Tuesday that a decision would be made within the next six weeks.
“I think in the next six weeks or so we will have to think about what we want to do next year — and that is the primary decision,” he was quoted as saying by Autosport. “Once that decision is made we will then know if we have to start looking around or stick with the drivers we have.”
If the 43-year-old German goes, one of the most desirable cockpits in Formula One would be up for grabs. Autosport said that Force India’s Paul Di Resta had already been linked with Mercedes.
After placing third at the European Grand Prix in Valencia in June, Schumacher refused to say when he would make a decision.
“I don’t think I ever said any kind of time, neither did I say summer and if you may apologise, I have no further news on that matter, so give me the time that I need and we will see,” he said.