Please enter your login details

You can also sign in with your Sowetan LIVE,
Times LIVE account details.
   Sign Up   Forgot password?

Sign in with:

     
 
Thu Apr 24 01:43:50 SAST 2014

Beale hopes to avoid court on assault charge

Sapa-AFP | 24 July, 2012 08:170 Comments
Super Rugby Rd 16 - Rebels v Reds
Kurtley Beale of the Rebels looks on during the round 16 Super Rugby match between the Rebels and the Reds at AAMI Park on June 29, 2012 in Melbourne, Australia
Image by: Scott Barbour / Getty Images

Wallabies fullback Kurtley Beale was granted bail to attend mediation after appearing in court on Tuesday charged with common assault.

The Melbourne Rebels star was allegedly involved in an altercation with a security guard after he and Wallabies team-mate Quade Cooper were refused entry to a pub ahead of Australia’s first Test with Wales last month.

During a brief mention of the matter in the Brisbane Magistrates Court, Beale’s lawyer Angelo Venardos told the judge his client and the alleged victim were attempting to resolve the matter out of court.

The hearing was adjourned for eight weeks to allow this to happen.

While Beale missed the first two Tests against Wales through injury, he was recalled for the third, and the Australian Rugby Union said Tuesday it had yet to start disciplinary proceedings against him over the alleged assault.

“As stated previously an ARU disciplinary review procedure will not begin until the court process has been completed,” the governing body said.

“No further comment will be made at this time.”

To submit comments you must first

Join the discussion & Debate

Beale hopes to avoid court on assault charge

For Commenters Consideration | Please stick to the subject matter
Thu Apr 24 01:43:50 SAST 2014 ::

COMMENTS [0]