Please enter your login details

You can also sign in with your Sowetan LIVE,
Times LIVE account details.
   Sign Up   Forgot password?

Sign in with:

     
 
Thu Apr 24 23:46:39 SAST 2014

'Eye-gouger' banned for 15 weeks

Reuters | 04 October, 2011 10:320 Comments
Italy v USA - IRB RWC 2011 Match 31
Leonardo Ghiraldini of Italy attempts a run during the IRB 2011 Rugby World Cup Pool C match between Italy and the USA at Trafalgar Park on September 27, 2011 in Nelson, New Zealand
Image by: Shaun Botterill / Getty Images

Italy hooker Leonardo Ghiraldini has been banned for 15 weeks after he admitted making contact with Irish prop Cian Healy’s eyes during their rugby World Cup Pool C clash in Dunedin, tournament organisers said on Tuesday.

Ghiraldini, who maintained his actions were not deliberate, faced a hearing in Auckland over the incident.     

    Judicial officer Bruce Squire of New Zealand said after he had reviewed all the evidence that he felt the contact had been deliberate and the offending was “at the top end”.     

    Healy was penalised for retaliating after the incident in their 36-6 victory at Stadium Otago on Sunday, though television replays then showed Ghiraldini had touched Healy’s eyes as the pair wrestled at the breakdown.     

    A general guildeline for dealing with eye incidents suggests a ban of 24 weeks but Squire reduced the suspension to 15 because of the hooker’s previously unblemished record, organisers said.     

    Ghialrdini, who has 48 hours to appeal the sanction, can resume playing again on Jan. 18, 2012.

To submit comments you must first

Join the discussion & Debate

'Eye-gouger' banned for 15 weeks

For Commenters Consideration | Please stick to the subject matter
Thu Apr 24 23:46:39 SAST 2014 ::

COMMENTS [0]