Please enter your login details

You can also sign in with your Sowetan LIVE,
Times LIVE account details.
   Sign Up   Forgot password?

Sign in with:

     
 
Fri Apr 25 01:57:11 SAST 2014

Crusaders wing Guildford steps down amid misconduct probe

Reuters | 20 January, 2013 12:130 Comments
ITM Cup Rd 1 - Hawke's Bay v Auckland
Zac Guildford of Hawke's Bay passes during the ITM Cup match against Auckland at McLean Park on August 23, 2012 in Napier, New Zealand
Image by: Hagen Hopkins / Getty Images

Canterbury Crusaders winger Zac Guildford has voluntarily stood down from the franchise following his involvement in a late-night incident in Christchurch last weekend, the New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU) said on Sunday.

The 23-year-old with well-documented alcohol problems has admitted his involvement in the incident after a private house party which is now being investigated by his team and the NZRU.

“We and the Crusaders were very disappointed to learn of this incident. As a result, the NZRU has initiated misconduct proceedings against Zac,” NZRU chief executive Steve Tew said in a statement.

“We will be meeting with Zac and his representative in the following week to discuss the matter, and next steps.

“As his employer, we want to ensure that the process respects Zac’s right to a fair hearing so we do not wish to comment further at this stage,” Tew added.

The 10-test All Black is hardly new to misconduct probes and was banned for four games and ordered to undergo alcohol counselling after a naked, drunken rampage in the Cook Islands in Nov. 2011.

Guildford had previously apologised for his “excessive drinking” and narrowly escaped a playing ban at the 2011 World Cup after an alcohol-related incident prior to the tournament beginning.

To submit comments you must first

Join the discussion & Debate

Crusaders wing Guildford steps down amid misconduct probe

For Commenters Consideration | Please stick to the subject matter
Fri Apr 25 01:57:11 SAST 2014 ::

COMMENTS [0]