Bayern say 'no movement' on Martinez transfer
Bayern Munich denied on Wednesday they had sealed the 40-million-euro (49-million-dollar) signing of Spain international Javier Martinez from Athletic Bilbao.
“There has been no movement today from our side in this,” Bayern media chief Markus Hoerwick told dpa.
His comments follow a report in Bild newspaper to appear on Thursday saying the transfer had been sealed and that Martinez would receive a five-year contract.
“It remains the case that we won’t pay 40 million euros for the player,” Hoerwick said.
Bayern have made no secret of their interest in the 23-year-old defensive midfielder, but sports director Matthias Sammer Wednesday again also made it clear Bayern were not prepared to pay 40 million euros, which would be a Bundesliga record.