Please enter your login details

You can also sign in with your Sowetan LIVE,
Times LIVE account details.
   Sign Up   Forgot password?

Sign in with:

Fri Apr 18 07:48:42 SAST 2014

Santos not yet safe after loss to Thanda Royal Zulu

TEAMtalk Media | 24 June, 2012 09:090 Comments
NFD Promotion & Relegation: Santos v Thanda Royal Zulu
Thanda Royal Zulu players celebrate a goal during the National First Division promotion/relegation match between Santos and Thanda Royal Zulu at Athlone Stadium on June 23, 2012 in Cape Town, South Africa
Image by: Luke Walker / Gallo Images

Thanda Royal Zulu defeated Santos 2-1 in their promotion play-off match at Athlone Stadium on Saturday evening to revive their chances of securing a PSL place for next season.

The People's Team would have all but secured their spot with a win, having accumulated four points from their previous two games with Thanda on one point heading into this match.

But Asanda Mvalo and Edwin Sitaytayi scored within five minutes of each other in the second half to cancel out Nasief Morris' 18th minute opener, meaning Santos will need maximum points from their clash with Chippa United next Wednesday and hope that Thanda and Chippa once again play out to a draw as they did in their opener.

Santos dominated the early proceedings with Erwin Isaacs and Jonathan Armogam the home side's most eager runners.

But despite their possession, Mart Nooij's side failed to test keeper Nhlanhla Khuzwayo in the opening exchanges.

Khuzwayo though had no chance in keeping out Morris' back post header following a good cross from Isaacs.

Thanda looked to get back into the tie and passed the ball around well with their best chance of the half arriving in the 42st minute as Santos goalkeeper Pa Demba Touray had to be at full stretch to deny Peter Nwadike with a curling effort from 30-yards that was heading for the top corner.

Eleazar Rodgers, who had been marshalled well by the Thanda defence for much of the match saw two good efforts saved by Khuzwayo early in the second half before disaster struck for the home side.

Mvalo headed home Omar Hendricks' free kick on 52 minutes before Edwin Sitaytayi powered his header, from a Nkosinathi Ogle cross, past Touray.

Thanda came close to adding a third in the 80th minute but Nwadike's could not head home when he found himself unmarked in the box.

To submit comments you must first

Join the discussion & Debate

Santos not yet safe after loss to Thanda Royal Zulu

For Commenters Consideration | Please stick to the subject matter
Fri Apr 18 07:48:42 SAST 2014 ::