Please enter your login details

You can also sign in with your Sowetan LIVE,
Times LIVE account details.
   Sign Up   Forgot password?

Sign in with:

     
 
Sat Apr 19 14:01:07 SAST 2014

R70m claim rubbished

Mark Gleeson | 21 June, 2012 07:230 Comments
Absa Premiership: Bidvest Wits v Black Leopards
Wits players huddle during the Absa Premiership match against Black Leopards at Bidvest Stadium on May 08, 2012 in Johannesburg, South Africa
Image by: Duif du Toit / Gallo Images

REPORTS that Wits have been given a R70-million war chest to turn them into a championship-winning side are nonsense, the club's new CEO Jose Ferreira says.

He says, however, that they do have money to buy new players.

"Let's say we have a budget that allows us to be competitive. Obviously, we will never be able to compete with the likes of Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates and Mamelodi Sundowns, but you don't need to have that sort of money to be successful, as other clubs have proven," says Ferreira, who has moved across from SuperSport United to the Clever Boys.

So far the club have made just one definite signing for the upcoming campaign in hard-working midfielder Matthew Pattison.

Wits are tying up a deal with former Bafana Bafana captain Aaron Mokoena, although he is still under contract with Portsmouth and the signing of the central defender cannot be confirmed until his relationship with the English League One club is decided.

Ferreira says there will be another three signings by the end of the week but that this not about bringing a finite number of players into the club for the new season.

To submit comments you must first

Join the discussion & Debate

R70m claim rubbished

For Commenters Consideration | Please stick to the subject matter
Sat Apr 19 14:01:07 SAST 2014 ::

COMMENTS [0]